High top shoes have been a popular fashion choice for decades, adored for their stylish appearance and added ankle support. While they offer numerous benefits, many individuals find themselves wrestling with the process of putting them on and taking them off. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the reasons why high top shoes can be challenging to handle, as well as offer some tips to make the process easier and more enjoyable.
Why are high top shoes so hard to put on and take off?
High top shoes are challenging to put on and take off due to their design’s extended ankle support and rigid structure. The thick materials and extensive lacing system add to the difficulty. Loosening laces, using a shoe horn, and opting for thinner socks can make the process easier. Practice also helps familiarize with the shoe’s handling.
|Reasons High Top Shoes are Hard to Put On and Take Off|
|Design and Lacing|
|Material and Structure|
|Sock Choice Matters|
|Practice Makes Perfect|
|Loosening the Laces|
|Use a Shoe Horn|
1. Design and Lacing: High top shoes typically feature a design that extends above the ankle, providing additional support and protection. This design, however, can make them less flexible and more rigid compared to low top shoes. Moreover, the extensive lacing system often seen in high tops can lead to increased difficulty when putting them on and taking them off. The need to lace and unlace the shoe completely can be time-consuming and sometimes frustrating.
2. Material and Structure: High top shoes are commonly constructed with thicker materials to provide better ankle stability. This sturdier build, while essential for their intended purpose, can also add to the challenge of slipping them on and off. The stiff upper materials can resist bending, making it more cumbersome to fit your foot comfortably inside.
3. Sock Choice Matters: The choice of socks can significantly impact the ease of putting on high top shoes. Thick or bulky socks may hinder your ability to slide your foot in effortlessly. Opt for thinner socks or ankle socks to reduce friction and make the process smoother.
4. Practice Makes Perfect: If you’re new to wearing high top shoes, it may take some practice to get the hang of putting them on and taking them off efficiently. As you become more familiar with the shoe’s structure and the lacing system, the process will likely become quicker and more natural.
5. Loosening the Laces: Before attempting to put on high top shoes, consider loosening the laces or untying them slightly. This action will create a wider opening, making it easier to slip your foot inside. After wearing the shoes, you can tighten the laces to your desired level of comfort and support.
6. Use a Shoe Horn: A shoe horn can be a valuable tool when dealing with high top shoes. It helps maintain the shape of the shoe’s opening while you slide your foot in, preventing the back of the shoe from collapsing and making the process smoother.
How do you put on high top shoes easily?
To put on high top shoes easily, first, loosen the laces or untie them slightly. Consider using a shoe horn to maintain the shoe’s shape. Opt for thinner socks for reduced friction. Slide your foot in gently, and then tighten the laces to achieve a snug fit for comfort and support.
Putting on high top shoes can be made easier with the following steps:
- Loosen the Laces: Before attempting to put on the shoes, loosen the laces or untie them slightly. This creates a wider opening, making it easier to slip your foot inside.
- Use a Shoe Horn: Consider using a shoe horn to help maintain the shape of the shoe’s opening while you slide your foot in. This prevents the back of the shoe from collapsing and makes the process smoother.
- Choose the Right Socks: Opt for thinner socks or ankle socks that reduce friction and make it easier to slide your foot into the shoe. Avoid wearing thick or bulky socks, as they can impede the process.
- Sit Down or Stabilize Your Foot: When putting on high top shoes, it may be helpful to sit down or stabilize your foot against a surface to maintain balance and ease the process.
- Slide Your Foot In: Gently slide your foot into the shoe, making sure your heel is properly positioned at the back. Use your hand to guide your foot if needed, especially if the shoe opening is narrow.
- Tighten the Laces: Once your foot is inside the shoe, tighten the laces to your desired level of comfort and support. Ensure the shoe fits snugly around your foot without being too tight.
By following these steps, you can put on high top shoes more easily and enjoy the style and support they provide without the struggle.
What are the cons of high top sneakers?
Cons of high top sneakers include limited ankle flexibility, potential discomfort around the ankle, increased heat and sweating, challenging to put on and take off, fashion limitations, reduced breathability, bulkier appearance, and less support for certain sports. Individual preferences and activities should be considered when choosing high top sneakers.
High top sneakers, while popular and stylish, do come with some drawbacks. Here are some cons of wearing high top sneakers:
- Limited Flexibility: The extended design of high top sneakers restricts ankle movement, limiting flexibility compared to low top sneakers. This limitation can be uncomfortable for some individuals, especially during activities that require a wide range of motion.
- Potential Discomfort: The higher collar and thicker materials of high top sneakers can cause discomfort or irritation around the ankle area, especially if the shoes are too tight or not properly broken in.
- Heat and Sweating: The higher coverage of high top sneakers can lead to increased heat and sweating around the ankles, potentially causing discomfort and odors during hot weather or intense physical activities.
- Putting On and Taking Off: As mentioned earlier, the process of putting on and taking off high top sneakers can be more challenging and time-consuming due to their design and lacing system.
- Fashion Limitations: High top sneakers may not pair well with all types of clothing and outfits. They tend to work best with casual and streetwear styles, which could limit their versatility for some fashion preferences.
- Less Breathability: Compared to low top sneakers, high tops may offer less breathability due to their higher construction, leading to potential issues like sweaty feet and unpleasant odors.
- Bulkier Appearance: High top sneakers can appear bulkier on the feet, which may not be everyone’s preferred aesthetic choice, especially for those looking for a sleek and minimalist look.
- Less Support for Some Sports: While high tops provide good ankle support, they might not be the best option for certain sports that require extensive lateral movements, as they can impede natural foot movement.
Ultimately, the cons of high top sneakers may vary depending on individual preferences and needs. It’s essential to consider these factors when choosing the right footwear for specific activities and style preferences.
How can I make my high top shoes more comfortable?
To make high top shoes more comfortable, ensure proper sizing, wear quality socks, gradually break them in, adjust lacing for a better fit, use supportive insoles or inserts, add heel grips, wear thicker socks if shoes are slightly large, and take breaks during extended wear or activities.
To make your high top shoes more comfortable, try these tips:
- Proper Sizing: Ensure you have the correct size to avoid discomfort caused by tightness or inadequate support.
- Quality Socks: Choose moisture-wicking, cushioned socks to reduce friction and enhance comfort.
- Breaking-In Period: Wear your shoes for short periods initially to allow them to mold to your feet gradually.
- Adjust Lacing: Experiment with lacing techniques to find the most comfortable fit.
- Insoles or Inserts: Add supportive insoles or gel inserts for extra cushioning and arch support.
- Heel Grips: Use heel grips or pads to prevent heel slippage and blisters.
- Wear Thick Socks: If your shoes are slightly large, wearing thicker socks can provide a better fit.
- Loosen Laces When Needed: Loosen the laces slightly for a more relaxed fit during low-impact activities.
- Alternate Shoes: Avoid wearing high tops for extended periods; alternate with other comfortable shoes.
- Breaks During Activities: If using high tops for sports, take short breaks to prevent excessive discomfort.
- Keep Shoes Clean: Regularly clean your shoes to maintain their structure and prevent odors.
Remember that every foot is unique, so experiment with these tips to find what works best for your comfort needs.
Are high tops uncomfortable?
High top shoes can be uncomfortable for some individuals, but it varies based on personal preferences and the specific shoe’s design and fit. The extended collar and rigid structure may cause discomfort or restrict ankle movement for some people. However, others find them comfortable and appreciate the added ankle support they provide. Proper sizing, breaking them in, and using cushioned socks can enhance comfort.
Why are high tops hard to put on?
High tops are hard to put on due to their extended design, rigid structure, and extensive lacing system. The narrow opening, higher collar, and thicker materials can resist bending and make sliding the foot inside challenging. Using a shoe horn, loosening laces, and opting for thinner socks can help ease the process.
High top shoes can be hard to put on due to several reasons:
- Design: The extended design that covers the ankle and part of the lower leg creates a narrow opening, making it more challenging to slide the foot inside.
- Rigid Structure: High tops are often constructed with thicker and sturdier materials to provide ankle support, which can make the shoe less flexible and more resistant to bending during the entry process.
- Lacing System: High top shoes usually have an extensive lacing system that requires proper adjustment for a comfortable fit. Fully lacing and unlacing the shoe can be time-consuming.
- Heel Collar: The higher heel collar can create resistance while trying to insert the foot, especially if it’s not adequately loosened.
- Lack of Shoe Horn Use: Many people don’t use shoe horns, which can help maintain the shoe’s shape and provide a smoother entry.
By using techniques such as loosening the laces, using a shoe horn, and choosing appropriate socks, the process of putting on high top shoes can become easier and more manageable.
How do you loosen high top shoes?
To loosen high top shoes and make them easier to put on, follow these steps:
- Untie the Laces: Start by fully untying the laces of the shoe to create a wider opening.
- Loosen the Laces: Loosen the laces on both sides of the shoe, particularly around the ankle area. You can use your fingers to gently pull the laces outward.
- Use a Shoe Horn: Consider using a shoe horn to maintain the shape of the shoe’s opening while you slide your foot in. This prevents the back of the shoe from collapsing and makes the process smoother.
- Wear Thinner Socks: Opt for thinner socks or ankle socks, as they reduce friction and make it easier to slide your foot into the shoe.
- Push Down the Tongue: Push down the tongue of the shoe to create more space and make it easier to insert your foot.
- Gently Slide Your Foot In: With the laces loosened, use your hand to gently guide your foot into the shoe, ensuring your heel is properly positioned at the back.
- Adjust the Laces: After wearing the shoes, tighten the laces to your desired level of comfort and support.
By following these steps, you can effectively loosen high top shoes and make the process of putting them on more comfortable and hassle-free.
How do you put on high top shoes easily? To put on high top shoes easily, loosen the laces, use a shoe horn to maintain the shape, wear thinner socks, gently slide your foot in, and adjust the laces for a snug fit.
What are the cons of high top sneakers? Cons of high top sneakers include limited ankle flexibility, potential discomfort, increased heat and sweating, challenging to put on, fashion limitations, reduced breathability, bulkier appearance, and less support for certain sports.
How can I make my high top shoes more comfortable? Make high top shoes more comfortable by ensuring proper sizing, using quality socks, gradually breaking them in, adjusting lacing, using supportive insoles, adding heel grips, wearing thicker socks if necessary, and taking breaks during extended wear.
Are high tops uncomfortable? High tops can be uncomfortable for some individuals due to their extended collar and rigid structure. However, others find them comfortable and appreciate the added ankle support.
Why are high tops hard to put on? High tops are hard to put on due to their extended design, rigid structure, and extensive lacing system. The narrow opening and higher collar can resist bending and make the process challenging.
How do you loosen high top shoes? Loosen high top shoes by fully untying the laces, loosening them around the ankle area, using a shoe horn, wearing thinner socks, and gently sliding your foot in while pushing down the tongue.
Are high-tops bad for your feet? High-tops are not inherently bad for feet, but improper sizing or lack of support can lead to discomfort or foot issues. Ensuring the right fit and using supportive insoles can help mitigate potential problems.
Why do NBA players not wear high-top shoes? NBA players often wear low-top shoes for better ankle mobility, as they require a wide range of movements during games. Low-tops allow more flexibility and reduce the risk of ankle injuries.
What’s better high-tops or low-tops? The choice between high-tops and low-tops depends on personal preference and activity. High-tops offer more ankle support, while low-tops provide better ankle mobility.
How do I stop my high shoes from hurting? To stop high shoes from hurting, ensure proper sizing, use gel inserts or supportive insoles, wear socks that reduce friction, adjust lacing for a comfortable fit, and gradually break in the shoes.
Are you supposed to lace high tops all the way? You can lace high tops all the way to the top for maximum ankle support or leave the top few eyelets unlaced for a looser fit and more flexibility.
Are high-top better than regular sneakers? High-tops offer more ankle support, making them suitable for activities requiring stability. Regular sneakers (low-tops) provide greater ankle mobility and are ideal for everyday use.
How long does it take to break in high-tops? The time it takes to break in high-tops varies depending on the shoe and individual comfort. It may take a few days to a couple of weeks of regular wear to achieve optimal comfort.
How do you soften high-tops? To soften high-tops, wear them for short periods to gradually mold them to your feet, use a shoe stretcher, or apply a leather conditioner to soften the material.
Are high-tops bad for your ankles? High-tops are not inherently bad for ankles, but poorly fitting shoes or lack of support can contribute to discomfort or injuries. Choosing the right size and providing adequate support can prevent issues.
Why do people wear high top shoes? People wear high top shoes for style, ankle support during physical activities, and to make a fashion statement. The extended design and added ankle coverage are appealing to many.
How do you stretch my high-top shoe so I can get my foot in it? To stretch high-top shoes for easier entry, consider using a shoe stretcher, wearing them with thick socks, or using a stretching spray to loosen the material.
Will tight shoes loosen up? Tight shoes may slightly loosen up with wear, but it’s essential to ensure they are not overly tight as they can cause discomfort and foot issues.
How do you stretch high heels for wide feet? To stretch high heels for wide feet, use a shoe stretcher or apply heat with a hairdryer while wearing thick socks to help widen the shoe material.
Do you wear socks with high-top shoes? Yes, wearing socks with high-top shoes is recommended for comfort, support, and to reduce friction that can cause blisters.
How do you walk in high shoes? Walking in high shoes requires taking smaller steps, keeping weight centered over the feet, and using proper posture for balance.
Can you wear high tops with skinny jeans? Yes, high tops can be worn with skinny jeans for a stylish and trendy look.
Are high quality shoes worth it? High-quality shoes are often worth the investment as they offer better materials, construction, and support, leading to greater comfort and durability.
Do NBA players wear high top shoes? NBA players typically wear low-top shoes for improved ankle mobility during games.
Are high-tops considered athletic shoes? High-tops are considered athletic shoes due to their ankle support, making them popular for sports and physical activities.
Do high tops go with leggings? Yes, high tops can be paired with leggings for a comfortable and casual look.
Why does my sneaker hurt the top of my foot? Sneakers may hurt the top of the foot due to pressure from tight lacing or an improper fit.
Why do court shoes always slip off? Court shoes may slip off due to poor fit, improper lacing, or lack of proper heel support.
Are high-tops still in style? Yes, high-tops continue to be popular and remain in style for both fashion and athletic wear.
Is it better to lift in high-tops? The choice to lift in high-tops or low-tops depends on personal preference and the individual’s comfort and stability during weightlifting.
Are my shoes too small or do I need to break them in? If your shoes are uncomfortably tight, they may be too small. Breaking them in might help if the shoes are only slightly snug.
High top shoes undoubtedly offer style and ankle support, but they may require a bit more effort when it comes to putting them on and taking them off. The combination of their design, lacing system, and sturdy materials can pose challenges for wearers.
However, with some practice and the right techniques, you can master the art of handling high top shoes with ease. Remember to choose appropriate socks, consider using a shoe horn, and don’t forget to loosen the laces before putting them on. Embrace the style and comfort that high top shoes offer, and you’ll find that the extra effort is well worth it.
The BestofWorkBoots.com team is a group of dedicated footwear enthusiasts with a collective passion for boots, shoes, and all things related to footwear. Our team is committed to providing valuable insights, practical tips, and unbiased reviews to help readers find the perfect footwear for their needs. With extensive industry knowledge and a genuine love for quality craftsmanship, our team strives to be your go-to source for expert advice on work boots and beyond. Follow our captivating articles on BestofWorkBoots.com and discover the world of footwear through the eyes of our passionate team.